With hundreds of prospective accountancy firms to choose from, this table lists the monthly fees charged by some of the UK’s leading specialist accountants.
|Aardvark Accounting||£69||All-inclusive tailored contractor accountancy service. Personal service, no tie in periods. View Further Details.|
|AccountsNet||£65||Complete Service. Includes registered office address, company formation. View 2 Price Plans.|
|Churchill Knight||£120||Thousands of IT contractors helped since 1998. One month free when you sign for a year. 2 Price Plans. View Further Details.|
|Clever Accounts||£79.50||Complete Package. Registered office address. Free IR35 review.|
View 2 Price Plans.
|Intouch Accounting||£105||Full monthly service, free IR35 risk assessments, company formation, registered office address.|
View Further Details.
|Qdos Accounting||£95||Complete accounting & unrivalled IR35 expertise. Cost effective & tax efficient accounting solution. View Further Details.|
|SG Accounting||£99||Full monthly service. SG will come to you for a face-to-face tax planning meeting. IR35 advice, business insurances included.|
View 3 Price Plans.
|SJD Accountancy||£120||The UK’s largest contractor accountants. Essential package including face-to-face meetings across the UK. View 3 Price Plans.|
For more details on our partner contractor accountants, please visit our directory.
|3 Wise Bears||£105||Full package with your own personal accountant, including FreeAgent subscription, quarterly reviews, dividend planning.|
|ADVANCE||£120||‘Premium’ package. Includes company insurances and company incorporation. Unlimited phone support and online portal access.|
|BI Accountancy||£90||‘Solo’ accounting package – includes company formation, and first month is currently free.|
|Bluebird Accountancy||£75||Free company formation, no leaving/joining fees, dedicated account manager, free personal tax return. Special offer for ITContracting visitors.|
|Boox||£90||Smart online accounting. Unlimited support from a dedicated team. Experience full accounting service for 60 days free of charge.|
|Carrington Accountancy||£110||Dedicated accountancy support and advice for contractors. Specialists for over 20 years.|
|Clearsky Accounting||£120||‘Freedom’ accounting package. First month is free currently for all 3 available packages.|
|CEJ Contractor Accountants||£99||Complete solution incl. simple bookkeeping software, unlimited support. Self-assessment and company formation included.|
|Elver Consultancy||£80||Package includes FreeAgent accounting software. Bookkeeping available for additional fee.|
|Exchequer Accountancy||£95||This is the ‘Personal’ package. £59/month ‘Online’ package also available with less support.|
|Freestyle Accounting||£210||Truly all-inclusive service includes unlimited IR35 contract reviews and tax advice. Online portal.|
|FW Accounting||£95||‘Standard’ Package. Fully automated invoicing and bank feeds. Registered Office Address.|
|ICS||£125||‘Plus’ Package. Invoices raised and chased. Online portal. Co. Formation – £40 (one-off fee).|
|Maslins||£99||Helping contractors since 2009, all inclusive FreeAgent package, free personal tax return filing, no tie-ins.|
|Nixon Williams||£95||Vantage Gold package includes bespoke free online accounting portal and free company formation.|
|OnTheGo Accountants||£85||‘Micro’ service includes monthly bookkeeping, payroll for 2 employees, and FreeAgent software.|
|No Worries||£105||‘Club’ service. Includes free company formation, cloud-based software, unlimited meetings / phone support.|
|PaperRocket Accounting||£85||4 monthly packages available, all include tax enquiry insurance, tax planning and two IR35 reviews.|
|Sail Business Solutions||£83||Full limited company solution. Free initial consultation, incl. company formation. Dedicated advisor|
|Simple Accounting||£104||All inclusive fee. Reduced to £84 for businesses based in Yorkshire and Lancashire.|
|Tax Compute||£80||Fully comprehensive service, includes tax returns for up to 2 directors. Free Co. Formation.|
|Taxevo||£80||Fully monthly service. Free company formation, FreeAgent, bank account set-up. 2 packages|
- The table above compares ‘standard’ monthly accountancy packages which must include as a minimum: Preparation of your company’s Annual Accounts, filing of quarterly VAT returns, and payroll processing for the director. We’ve covered the typical duties of a contractor accountant here.
- All companies must file an ‘Confirmation Statement’ each year to Companies House. This replaced the ‘Annual Return’ from June 2016 onwards. The standard submission fee is £13. You may have to pay this additional fee.
- All the prices listed above are subject to VAT at 20%.
- Please do email us if you’d like us to include your company here, or to change/update any of the costs displayed in the table.
Things to consider when comparing contractor accountants
- Does your accountant charge to incorporate your company (and set you up as a client), or is this included in the monthly fee? Although the actual company formation costs a mere £13 (via software filing), you will also need to be registered for VAT, registered as an employer with HMRC, and have your payroll set up. Your accountant will also need to set up your share structure, and attend to further administrative tasks.
- Due to the nature of online accounting, and the limited time you’d ever need to spend face-to-face with your accountant, for most contractors location isn’t an important factor when choosing an accountant. However, if you would prefer to hire an accountant based nearby, have a browse of the websites above for location information. Several of the larger firms have offices (or satellite offices) in London, Manchester, Birmingham, and other major cities. Others will offer to pay you an initial visit, wherever you live.
- In some cases, particularly with ‘online’ accountants, you will be expected to do a fair amount of bookkeeping legwork yourself. Without a more complex table, it isn’t possible to show exactly which tasks each firm will carry out on your behalf, although for a number of providers, ‘bookkeeping’ (entering your transactions into an accounts system) is a chargeable extra.
- A director’s self assessment return fee cannot be claimed against your company, as this is a personal cost. Some accountants will complete one director’s return for free, whereas others will charge a one-off fee.
- IR35 contract reviews – some accountants provide a ‘free’ review service (subject to 1 or 2 reviews per year), whereas others charge a fixed-fee for an in-house or third-party review. However, you may prefer to pay an employment status specialist to undertake this service.
- If you change accountants, you may incur additional costs to bring your accounts up-to-date.
- Make sure you compare like for like when comparing the most popular monthly packages, as although the ‘core’ accounting requirements for all companies must be met, no two packages are exactly the same..
- Price is just one factor you should consider when comparing contractor accountants. Customer service is arguably more important, given the similarity in fees charged by the leading accountants.