Price is always an important factor when you’re looking for a new umbrella provider. But it shouldn’t be your sole consideration. Here we explain why choosing a cheap umbrella isn’t always the best option in real terms.
Virtually all IT contractors work via limited or umbrella companies. In this section, we explore how PAYE umbrella schemes work.
- Find out what a PAYE umbrella company does.
- Why you should be cautious when reading umbrella company reviews.
- How much do the leading umbrella companies charge?
- The pros and cons of using an umbrella company.
- Why the scope for claiming umbrella company expenses has narrowed due to the SDC rules
- Which structure is best for you? Limited or Umbrella?
- Umbrella company comparison - 15 top tips
5 essential tips to help you find the best umbrella
- Don't focus purely on the weekly cost. Good customer service and communication skills are just as important. Ask other contractors for recommendations if you're looking for a new provider.
- Only sign-up to a UK-based PAYE umbrella. Never use offshore payment tax avoidance schemes.
- The only difference between take home pay quotes between umbrella companies should be the margin (fee) they charge.
- If you're caught by the Off-Payroll (IR35) rules, consider a flexible umbrella/limited model of working, so you can switch between the two with ease. Most leading accountants/umbrellas offer this service.
- Find a trusted umbrella in our umbrella directory.
How do pensions work if you’re an umbrella company employee?
In this guide, we explore how umbrella company pensions work, what tax relief is available, and what to look out for when joining a workplace pension scheme.
Do you need to file a self-assessment tax return as an umbrella company employee?
If you’re an employee of an umbrella company, surely you don’t have to complete a self-assessment tax return, as your income has already been taxed at source, right?
Important questions to ask umbrella company providers
If you have decided to join an umbrella company, there are dozens of options out there. Here we look at some important questions to ask potential providers.
What to do if your umbrella company goes bust
When an umbrella company goes bust or files for liquidation, hundreds of contractors can be left without pay. This worrying scenario can cause umbrella contractors a great deal of concern, but there are ways to mitigate the problem, by catching the warning signs early on.
Limited or Umbrella Company – which is best?
Limited or Umbrella Company? We look at the pros and cons of each type of business structure. Which is the best route for contractors?
How does an umbrella company work? 10-step walkthrough + examples
Our complete guide to choosing an umbrella company; how a typical PAYE scheme works in practice, and key questions to ask prospective providers.
What are umbrella company margins?
As an umbrella employee, you will see an entry for your provider’s ‘margin’ on your payslips. Here we explain what an umbrella company’s margin is, and how much it will typically set you back.
Umbrella company fees – the lowdown on costs
The only legitimate way PAYE schemes can compete with each other cost-wise is in the fees they charge their contractor clients. Here, we compare some of the leading umbrella companies, and explain why you should look out for hidden charges.
Umbrella company employment costs and other deductions
If you work via an umbrella company, you will see deductions including ’employment’ costs’ on your payslip. Here we explain what these costs are, and what to look out for following recent cases of malpractice in the industry.