If you want to join an umbrella company, chances are you will conduct some online research as part of the vetting process. Here we look at why you should treat online ‘reviews’ with a degree of scepticism.
Virtually all IT contractors work via limited or umbrella companies. In this section, we explore how PAYE umbrella schemes work.
- Find out what a PAYE umbrella company does.
- Why you should be cautious when reading umbrella company reviews.
- How much do the leading umbrella companies charge?
- The pros and cons of using an umbrella company.
- Why the scope for claiming umbrella company expenses has narrowed due to the SDC rules
- Which structure is best for you? Limited or Umbrella?
- Umbrella company comparison - 15 top tips
- Use our Umbrella Company Calculator
5 essential tips to help you find the best umbrella
- Don't focus purely on the weekly cost. Good customer service and communication skills are just as important. Ask other contractors for recommendations if you're looking for a new provider.
- Only sign-up to a UK-based PAYE umbrella. Never use offshore payment tax avoidance schemes.
- The only difference between take home pay quotes between umbrella companies should be the margin (fee) they charge.
- If you're caught by the Off-Payroll (IR35) rules, consider a flexible umbrella/limited model of working, so you can switch between the two with ease. Most leading accountants/umbrellas offer this service.
- Find a trusted umbrella in our umbrella directory.
If you contract through a recruitment agency and want to use an umbrella, can the agent insist you use a provider on their preferred supplier list (PSL)?
If you work through an umbrella company, you might see deductions on your payslips for the Apprenticeship Levy. Here we explain what this charge is.
Here are 15 things to look out for when you compare umbrella companies. Find the best umbrella and keep clear of rogue providers.
The Government has announced a reform of holiday pay rules which will allow many temporary workers to receive ‘rolled up’ holiday pay – reducing the chances of unscrupulous providers pocketing unclaimed (accrued) holiday funds.
You are entitled to receive holiday pay as an umbrella company contractor. Here we look at what holiday pay is, and how it is calculated.
The only legitimate way PAYE schemes can compete with each other cost-wise is in the fees they charge their contractor clients. Here, we compare some of the leading umbrella companies, and explain why you should look out for hidden charges.
With the deadline now passed for submissions to the Government’s consultation into the potential regulation of umbrella companies, one particular question caught our eye at IT Contracting.
In an unregulated industry, how can contractors keep away from dodgy operators? We look at how to identify the worst umbrella companies.
With tales of malpractice by some unscrupulous umbrella companies coming to light over the past few months, what can you do to make sure that your payslips aren’t hiding any hidden (possibly unlawful) deductions?