If you are contracting and have young children, you may be able to take advantage of a Government-run tax incentive which allows you to pay a proportion of your childcare costs out of your pre-tax income.
- As a contractor, you may incur a number of expenses related to your trade.
- For limited company contractors, you can offset almost all legitimate business expenses against your company's Corporation Tax bill.
- However, if you receive any personal benefit from business expenses paid by your company, you will be taxed on the value of any 'Benefits-in-Kind'.
- Umbrella contractors can typically reclaim a number of expenses, although the treatment of expenses claims does vary between providers.
- Start with our concise guide to contractor expenses.
Investing in improving your own skills or those of your employees can give you a crucial edge when it comes to pitching for new contracts. However, before funding training via your limited company, it’s important to know what you can – and cannot – claim as a deductible expense.
As a limited company contractor, you may incur a variety of business expenses whilst undertaking your contract duties. Here, we look at how expenses are ‘allowable’ for tax purposes, and some common errors to avoid.
How to claim back the costs of pre-trading expenses you have paid for personally, on behalf of your limited company, including how VAT can be reclaimed, subject to specific time limits.
Private Medical Insurance covers the cost of obtaining private medical care should you fall ill. Insurance policies can be paid personally or met by your company as part of your remuneration package.
While working as a contractor, you may run up a number of business-related phone and broadband expenses. So, how do you ensure that these expenses remain tax-deductible for your company, and free of additional personal tax charges at year-end?
One of our readers has recently been offered a contract role 200 miles away from home. Can he claim the cost of renting accomodation against his limited company’s tax bill?
There will be occasions when you may wish to provide small gifts to employees, throw a staff function or even treat yourself as the director.
One of the most frequent questions asked by contractors is “what health-related expenses can I pay via my company?”
Many contractors travel by car on business – they may be visiting client sites, or attending conferences and training sessions. However, when it comes to claiming tax relief for the costs of these journeys, the rules can be confusing.