Here is our directory of some of the leading contractor service providers in the UK.
- Accountants – specialist accountancy firms who understand the needs of contractor limited companies.
- Umbrella Companies – companies who provide PAYE umbrella services to contractors.
- Useful Services – additional services including independent financial advice, and insurance.
If you’re in the market for a new service provider – an accountant, umbrella scheme, or a firm to help you take out a mortgage, there are several things you should consider.
1. Is the service provider compliant? For an accountant, is the firm a member of one of the leading accountancy bodies (such as the ACA or ACCA)? For umbrella companies, has the firm received a professional audit for compliance with prevailing tax legislation? For other types of provider (e.g. a solicitor, insurance broker or IFA), make sure prospective firms are members of their respective professional bodies.
2. Reputation – the contracting industry is fairly small, and ‘word of mouth’ is possibly the best way to determine the reputation of a service provider. Price is just one factor you should consider when comparing providers, and arguably, quality of service is a more important factor in the long-run. Talk to other contractors to find out their experiences of firms in the industry. You can also gain a general impression of companies’ reputations via online comparison sites and discussion boards.
3. Style over Substance – although the Internet has made life far easier for all of us in so many ways, it has also enabled less scrupulous suppliers to enter the marketplace for the price of a WordPress template and a few hours’ web design. Don’t be fooled by flash graphics or enticing marketing slogans. Look at the real business behind a company website, ask if you can talk to existing clients (in the case of accountancy and umbrella firms), and pay prospective providers a visit if needs be.
About the Directory
If you would like us to consider your company for inclusion in the directory, please email email@example.com.
We do require full HMRC compliance details for umbrella companies and accountancy firms.
If you have any comments or feedback to make about any firms listed in our directory, or any others within the industry, we’ll be very pleased to hear from you too.