If you have decided to go down the umbrella company route, there are dozens of providers out there. Here we look at some important things to consider when you are choosing a prospective provider.
Virtually all IT contractors work via limited or umbrella companies. In this section, we explore how PAYE umbrella schemes work.
- Find out what a PAYE umbrella company does.
- Why you should be cautious when reading umbrella company reviews.
- How much do the leading umbrella companies charge?
- The pros and cons of using an umbrella company.
- Why the scope for claiming umbrella company expenses has narrowed due to the SDC rules
- Which structure is best for you? Limited or Umbrella?
- Umbrella company comparison - 15 top tips
5 essential tips to help you find the best umbrella
- Don't focus purely on the weekly cost. Good customer service and communication skills are just as important. Ask other contractors for recommendations if you're looking for a new provider.
- Only sign-up to a UK-based PAYE umbrella. Never use offshore payment tax avoidance schemes.
- The only difference between take home pay quotes between umbrella companies should be the margin (fee) they charge.
- If you're caught by the Off-Payroll (IR35) rules, consider a flexible umbrella/limited model of working, so you can switch between the two with ease. Most leading accountants/umbrellas offer this service.
- Find a trusted umbrella in our umbrella directory.