We all have causes that are close to our hearts and if you are contracting through a limited company, you can factor in donations to charity as part of your overall tax planning strategy.
Limited Company Contractor Expenses
- As a contractor, you may incur a number of expenses related to your trade.
- For limited company contractors, you can offset almost all legitimate business expenses against your company's Corporation Tax bill.
- However, if you receive any personal benefit from business expenses paid by your company, you will be taxed on the value of any 'Benefits-in-Kind'.
- Umbrella contractors can typically reclaim a number of expenses, although the treatment of expenses claims does vary between providers.
- Start with our concise guide to contractor expenses.
If you incur travel expenses between your home and a temporary client site, you should be aware of the 24 month rule which determines whether or not you can legitimately claim for such costs. Here, we ask an expert to explain how the rule operates in practice.
The number of tax breaks open to contractors is perhaps at an all-time low, however, electric vehicles offer one option that many contractors may still be overlooking.