Private Medical Insurance covers the cost of obtaining private medical care should you fall ill. Insurance policies can be paid personally or met by your company as part of your remuneration package.
- As a contractor, you may incur a number of expenses related to your trade.
- For limited company contractors, you can offset almost all legitimate business expenses against your company's Corporation Tax bill.
- However, if you receive any personal benefit from business expenses paid by your company, you will be taxed on the value of any 'Benefits-in-Kind'.
- Umbrella contractors can typically reclaim a number of expenses, although the treatment of expenses claims does vary between providers.
- Start with our concise guide to contractor expenses.
While working as a contractor, you may run up a number of business-related phone and broadband expenses. So, how do you ensure that these expenses remain tax-deductible for your company, and free of additional personal tax charges at year-end?
One of our readers has recently been offered a contract role 200 miles away from home. Can he claim the cost of renting accomodation against his limited company’s tax bill?
There will be occasions when you may wish to provide small gifts to employees, throw a staff function or even treat yourself as the director.
As a contractor, you may need to travel as part of your contract duties – within the UK, or even overseas. Which travel expenses can you legitimately claim?
We all have causes that are close to our hearts and if you are contracting through a limited company, you can factor in donations to charity as part of your overall tax planning strategy.
If you need to buy a new PC, or upgrade your software, how are these expenses treated for tax purposes? Here we explain how technology costs are accounted for, and look at the rules which govern the treatment of computer-related purchases.
If you incur travel expenses between your home and a temporary client site, you should be aware of the 24 month rule which determines whether or not you can legitimately claim for such costs. Here, we ask an expert to explain how the rule operates in practice.
How are subscriptions to professional and trade organisations treated for tax purposes, and what determines whether or not your membership of a particular organisation is tax-deductible?
The number of tax breaks open to contractors is perhaps at an all-time low, however, electric vehicles offer one option that many contractors may still be overlooking.