Private Medical Insurance covers the cost of obtaining private medical care should you fall ill. Insurance policies can be paid personally or met by your company as part of your remuneration package.
- As a contractor, you may incur a number of expenses related to your trade.
- For limited company contractors, you can offset almost all legitimate business expenses against your company's Corporation Tax bill.
- However, if you receive any personal benefit from business expenses paid by your company, you will be taxed on the value of any 'Benefits-in-Kind'.
- Umbrella contractors can reclaim a number of expenses (subsistence, accommodation, travel, etc.) Further allowable expenses vary between providers.
- Start with our concise guide to contractor expenses.
While working as a contractor, you may run up a number of business-related phone and broadband expenses. So, how do you ensure that these expenses remain tax-deductible for your company, and free of additional personal tax charges at year-end?
One of our readers has recently been offered a contract role 200 miles away from home. Can he claim the cost of renting accomodation against his limited company’s tax bill?
There will be occasions when you may wish to provide small gifts to employees, throw a staff function or even treat yourself as the director.
One of the most frequent questions asked by contractors is “what health-related expenses can I pay via my company?”
Many contractors travel by car on business – they may be visiting client sites, or attending conferences and training sessions. However, when it comes to claiming tax relief for the costs of these journeys, the rules can be confusing.
As a contractor, you may need to travel as part of your contract duties – within the UK, or even overseas. Which travel expenses can you legitimately claim?
If you’re thinking of holding a small Christmas do for your limited company, you’ll be pleased to hear that your can legitimately claim back costs of up to £150 per head without any tax implications, as long as you meet certain conditions.
How to claim back the costs of pre-trading expenses you have paid for personally, on behalf of your limited company, including how VAT can be reclaimed, subject to specific time limits.
We all have causes that are close to our hearts and if you are contracting through a limited company, you can factor in donations to charity as part of your overall tax planning strategy.